We often see lists of best novels to read on the internet, but how many lists are there for reading short stories? Regarding science fiction, here are some of the major lists.
- Classics of Science Fiction Short Stories v. 2 (ours)
- sfadb Top Short Stories (Mark Kelly) (future lists for novelettes and novella)
- Sci-Fi Lists Top 100 Sci-Fi Short Fiction (additional 100 available)
- ISFDB Highest Ranked Short Fiction of All Time
- ISFDB Most Viewed Short Stories (the ones people are searching for)
- Locus Polls 20th and 21st Centuries
- Hugo Awards – Short Stories – Novelettes – Novellas
- Nebula Awards – Short Stories – Novelettes – Novellas
- Locus Awards – Short Stories – Novelettes – Novellas
- Theodore Sturgeon Award
However, if you use our List Builder feature and click on Show Citations you can see which stories are on multiple lists. We haven’t added the sfadb list yet, but will. By using the year ranges, checking short story, and finding the right number of citations, you can easily see how these lists overlap. Unfortunately, you’ll also see the citations from other sources. Maybe we’ll program a way to limit by citation source type in the future. On the other hand, you’ll see how some stories are remembered by different kinds of citations: polls, awards, anthologies, scholars, etc.
Here is the List Builder set to 1939-2021 with 5 citations. That generates 863 stories. You can up the citation count to make the list shorter. Our v. 2 list uses 8 citations which reveals just 98 stories.
Reviewers of Short Science Fiction:
- SF Short Stories (Paul Fraser)
- SF Magazines (Paul Fraser)
- Science Fiction Short Story Review (Austen Beeman)
- Rocket Stack Rank
- Locus Magazine
- Galactic Journey (Gideon Marcus)
- Strange in Ecbatan (Rich Horton) (short stories and novels)
- Science Fiction and Other Suspect Ruminations (Joachim Boaz) (short stories and novels)
- MPorcius Fiction Log (MPorcius) (short stories and novels)
- Weighing a pig doesn’t fatten it (bormgans) (short stories and novels)
James Wallace Harris 3/21/21
One thought on “Checklists for Reading Science Fiction Short Stories”
Excellent..I read only short stories in the speculative genre so this is treasure!
LikeLiked by 1 person